Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Santa Claus is coming to town


When I was 5 years old I told all the neighbor kids that Santa Claus was not real. That didn't go over so well with the neighborhood parents. My parents raised us on the bible and I knew Christmas was about the birth of Jesus Christ. I still believe that but when my son was born I had to think was I going to let him believe in Santa. The pilot said he wanted to let D-boy have Santa in his life but I wasn't so sure. I definitely didn't want him to ruin it for other kids that believed in Santa like I did. The bad part is the dilemma for me is that I don't want D-boy to believe Santa gets him expensive gifts. I am making this about me as usual, I don't want Santa to take credit for a gift that I spent money on. So last year Santa got D-boy a truck (the price was probably $10 or less). This year Santa has "bought" D-boy an angry bird from space stuffed animal. Again this was only $9.99 at Costco. D-boy started to make a book about Christmas and the first thing he wanted to write was that Christmas was all about presents. Not a good way to start, I told him Christmas was about the birth of Jesus and about giving. I love that he repeats this to others now, because they think "Wow, this kid has great parents". Of course I've left out that originally he said presents. This year we are celebrating on the 24th since that is when the pilot will be home. A bonus for me and D-boy we get to open our presents a day early. This also means on Sunday we will be making cookies for Santa and the pilot will take a bite of some so D-boy sees "Santa" ate the cookies. It is fun and now I'm not regretting that we decided to let Santa be a part of our son's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment