Friday, March 25, 2016

Week 3 - Life Happens


Last Saturday while I was doing a 30 minute workout I sprained my SI joint. I've done this before and I knew immediately when it happened. During a one legged dead lift with an upright row. Of course the pilot asked me if I stopped when I felt it. Lets just say I finished the workout. Not sure why he asked when he knew the answer to the question. Anyway after that I realized I wouldn't be able to exercise the last week of this challenge. I enjoy exercising and I usually workout out 5 to 6 days a week so not being able to is kind of hard for me. 

We went to the mountains for a couple days and I brought healthy food with us to our condo. However, the very first night we went out to eat, I had 3 fish tacos, green chili fries, and a margarita. Now I could say my back really hurt so I had the margarita to help but the truth is I just really like fish tacos & margaritas. The next day I stuck with the plan and only had one treat, a small serving of gelato. By Wednesday I was able to do yoga and put some time in on the elliptical when we got home.  I stayed with the diet and I've made it to day 20 out of 21. I weighed in at 135 this morning, so it seems my splurges didn't necessarily hurt me. Again I'll point out the good and the not so good.

Good: I have to say this month I've saved a lot of money not going out to eat. I also decided I didn't need to purchase any more workout clothes. This is a big decision for me since that is truly my wardrobe right now but I have enough. Having healthy food in the fridge and several options for dinner to make at home has been great. The convenience of the beach body on demand is wonderful, I can work out at home and its only 30 minutes a day. That has probably been my favorite part. The shakes are tasty and truly curve my cravings. I've enjoyed getting to know new people in the Facebook challenge group. They have helped me stay accountable on this journey.

Not so good: I only lost 3 lbs and that happened the first couple days of the challenge. I haven't taken measurements but it doesn't seem like much has changed. Feeling guilty for one splurge meal. I guess in the past I wouldn't have thought twice about that but being part of a group made it worse. The price of the shakes. Feeling bad because I couldn't work out, I know I shouldn't but it felt like I was quitting. 

Going forward I've decided to continue the subscription to Beachbody on demand, it's only $12 a month. Totally affordable and a lot less than any gym membership I've ever had. I love that I have access to workouts from my phone and my iPad. I cancelled my next order of shakeology, the bargain shopper part of me just can't justify the price. I've done some research and found Vega One has almost all the same ingredients at a fraction of the price. I ordered some on Amazon to try it out and see if it can curve my cravings. 

About 4 years ago I would've loved to find a group that was doing this challenge because I know I would've lost the excess weight that was bothering me. I haven't always been happy with my weight but at this point in my life I feel like I'm at a maintenance phase. As long as I eat healthy 90% of the time I can afford those splurges or treats 10% of the time. I love the new tools I have but going forward I feel like I can do this on my own. Shakeology is a great product and the people I've meet who are part of this are great. However, its just not for me. I'm searching for a balance in my life, I want to be healthy but my plan is to not give up the foods I enjoy for the rest of my life. I'm talking about you Mr. Avocado and Mr. Cheese!!! Feel free to ask me any questions about my experience, I'm happy to share.




No comments:

Post a Comment